SECON-2018 Student Grants
The IEEE SECON 2018 conference is pleased to announce the availability of the following type of student travel grants for BOTH authors and non-authors:
A. Travel grants sponsored by the IEEE Communications Society.
B. US National Science Foundation (NSF) travel grant opportunity for US-based students.
Following the application guidelines below, a student may apply to one or more of the following categories for which he/she is eligible. The eligibility criteria include:
- These student travel grants are sponsored by the IEEE Communications Society. Applications are invited from qualified full-time graduate students. To qualify a student must: (i) be a valid Student Member of the COMSOC at the time of application; (ii) be a full-time student registered toward a Bachelors, Masters, or Ph.D. degree in engineering or related field in a college or university when submitting the application; (iii) be an author who will present an accepted paper at this Conference, including its workshops; (iv) not have received a similar grant in the past 12 months.
- NSF support for the student travel grants for this conference (pending approval) invites applications from qualified graduate and undergraduate students from accredited US institutions who may or may not be authors of an accepted paper in SECON 2018. The awards will cover registration and travel costs up to $1000. Preference will be given to first time attendees who are non-authors and students from under-represented groups (women, minorities and people with disabilities) who may or may not be authors of accepted papers. Student recipients will be reimbursed (based on valid receipts) for their expenses after the conference. Only airfare on a US-based carrier will be reimbursed by this type of support.
An application for a student travel award will consist of:
- A brief cover letter from the student indicating (1) research interests and its alignment with SECON 2018; (2) a statement about how conference attendance is important to the student’s career/research.
- A recommendation letter from the student’s advisor including the following: (1) Confirmation that the student is a graduate/undergraduate student in good academic standing; (2) The suitability of the SECON 2018 program material to the student’s research area; (3) Commitment from the advisor to cover the additional costs of travel to SECON in excess of the student travel grant.
- The student’s CV;
- The type(s) of travel grant the student is applying for (A, B).
- A limited number of discounted registrations may be available under the “student volunteer” category. In your cover letter, please indicate your interest in serving as a volunteer for one day of the conference. Please note that volunteering is NOT required to be considered for the student grants.
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- With Subject: SECON-2018 Student Grant Application (please note, emails may be missed without this subject)
- All materials as outlined above as a single PDF file attachment
Application deadline: May 4, 2018 at 23:59 EST
Rolling processing with final notification deadline: May 15, 2018
Awardee acceptance deadline: May 20, 2018 at 23:59 EST
1. Should I merge my advisor’s recommendation letter with my application together to submit ?
Yes. Every applicant should submit all application materials as a single PDF file, which includes all required items listed in the “Application Procedure” section described above.
2. Should the advisor’s recommendation letter be also in PDF?
Yes. It should be an item in the single application file in PDF submitted by the student applicant.
3. If my advisor prefers to submit the recommendation letter separately from my application, what should I do?
4. Am I eligible to apply for the student travel grant being an author of a workshop paper?
Yes, you are welcome to apply.
Award Selection Committee
Venkatesha Prasad, TU Delft, Netherlands
Bala Natarajan, Kansas State University, USA
Award Selection Committee Advisors
Bin Xiao, Hong Kong Polytechnique University
Mo Li, Nanyang Technological University
Wenjun Hu, Yale University